The Sainsbury Family Charitable Trusts (SFCT) is an umbrella organisation that facilitates the work of the grant making trusts and charities established by three generations of the Sainsbury family. SFCT itself does not give grants, and is not affiliated with Sainsbury’s supermarkets (J Sainsbury plc).
Each of the 16 trusts, together with associated charitable companies, was set up by an individual member of the family. Each trust is an independent legal entity with a separate focus and board of trustees, in many cases led by the family member who established it.
The trusts work in many fields, including the environment, social inclusion, education, scientific research, the arts, and heritage. You can find out more about the work of individual trusts here.
At SFCT, we:
- Make a difference: we work together to deliver meaningful and lasting positive change.
- Are collaborative: we will actively share and apply learning and knowledge to strengthen our work to achieve greater impact.
- Put people and planet first: we work together to adopt approaches that benefit people and protect the natural world.
- Commit to diversity, equity and inclusion: we value the diversity of our backgrounds, skills and experiences. We treat people fairly in all that we do.
Governance and legal structure
- Each of our trusts and charitable companies has its own board of trustees/directors and is governed independently. Further details are available on the individual trust pages and via the Charity Commission.
- Our London office provides shared services across all of the trusts and associated entities. Other offices within the UK and East Africa support individual entities. The shared services are coordinated through SFCT Management Ltd, a company registered with Companies House (company number 04343279).
You can see copies of our policies below.